Friday, July 22, 2011

Accomplishing Being Overwhelmed

watercolor by BeckyKazana

I came across this picture while being inspired by another photographer and felt a sense of accomplishment in myself and in my work over the past 14 months.  In the beginning year, I worked more hours than I ever had before and I felt overwhelmed. It seemed as if I had 35 plates spinning out of control and I just kept piling on more. I thought I needed more time...it was always more time. The truth is all I needed to do was adjust a few things and designate certain times to do certain jobs, rather than trying to do everything at once. I needed to slow down and relax. I thought that all of my plates always needed to be spinning perfectly as I stood well composed and balanced. I realized that wasn't reality, or if it was, it wasn't a reality that I wanted for myself. I think all businesses experience this feeling at the start of opening and finding a routine. It takes time to research, organize and act on your visions. Thankfully, I have made it through those beginning plate spinning stages and now have those plates nicely stacked away. I am now on a pathway to what I envisioned when I started this. Rather than stacking the plates higher and higher, I can now work precisely on one task, finish it, put the plate away, and grab a new plate. I have been famous for having 12 plates spinning at once, but the lightbulb suddenly came on for me.  It's about quality, not quantity. I am so excited that I know now exactly where I am going from here. I know that I am choosing to be amazing for my clients and give them the time and talent that they deserve. I know that in doing this, I will continue to thrive in what I love to do.

I've revealed a fire underneath me, a new motivation, and I hope this post leads you to putting down the less important plates and concentrating on the ones that mean the most to you. I did, and I feel the best I have in months.






No comments: